The Community Park Scientist, by Lila Casto

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to interview Mr.Ullman about his new position and

about himself in the world of education. 


I know some of us are wondering why Mr.Ullman has switched jobs. I asked him, “Were you

given the option to continue with science or did you have to take a new position as STEAM

teacher?”


“I thought about it and realized it's always good to try something new.” And that's how the

STEAM in our school was born. Many students at CP are excited and looking forward to this

school year in STEAM. I asked Mr.Ullman about what we would be doing this school year that

he was looking forward to. He said, “Doing coding in any grade,” and, “Toy hacking, which is

taking apart toys and electronics.” He also said, “Teaching people how to use technology better.”


But before bringing STEAM to life at CP, Mr.Ullman was a 5th grade teacher for 20 years. He

graduated college with a degree in film and video. Soon after, he went back to college for a

degree in teaching because he “loved being with kids.” Mr.Ullman chose to teach in elementary

school because he “liked being able to lay a foundation for kids that they can use for the rest of

their lives.” 


I asked Mr.Ullman more about his classroom and how he connects it to the real world. He said,

“I really try to show my students these are what skills you need. Certain things you always

need to know.” After asking him these questions, I started to get more curious about

Mr.Ullman himself. Mr.Ullman describes himself as a “dedicated, passionate, flexible, and

always-learning pearson.” His strengths lie in “Thinking to always look at the kids first, and

what I have to teach after that. Getting to know the kids.”

At the end of the day Mr.Ullman loves Tthat everyday is a new opportunity to try something

new.” And that the transition from 5th grade to STEAM teacher was a “scary and exciting one.

This is a new position. No one knows what is supposed to look like. I can put my own twist on

things.” I am very excited to see how STEAM will turn out, I think it is going to be a very exciting

year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiled Dogs by Elin, Chloe, and Alessandra

Sacagawea by Analia Porello-Manna